Sunday, August 14, 2011

(as promised) ... The Dorky Dog


So, I recently found myself the default owner of a dog. I tollerate dogs. I am a cat person. I can relate to cats. Cats like to curl up in a patch of sunshine and sleep. Cats have discriminating tastes for things like seafood and duck. Cats, when aggravated, display sharp claws. Cats purr when rubbed the right way. Cats don't require anything remotely equivalent to babysitting. They don't need to be let out at a certain time. They seek affection occasionally. They don't get underfoot (or block entire doorways with just their head!). They don't get into the garbage (kitchen or washroom). Cats don't roll in anything smelly.

Other than an occasional hair ball and the kitty litter regime, Cats are low maintenance.

So, I have a dog. I have learned it is true that dogs are completely opposite to cats. Take any statement from above, and turn that statement to the exact opposite and you are describing a dog (ok, with the dog, when you rub the right spot...he kicks - I seriously don't understand that one... but hey, whatever floats your boat dog).

Now, my dog is not just a little lap dog (albeit this one seems to think he is), he is a German Shepherd. A German Shepperd who at 18 weeks is already 60 pounds (45 kilos). A German Shepherd whose father is 110 pounds and a mother who is herself a hulking 85 pounds. A German Shepherd that has paws larger than my fist. (What I am trying to say here in so many words is, I have a German Shepherd who promises to be the size of a small -insert large animal of choice here-)

I live in a small one story house... with 3 cats (aka dog toys).

Dogs...are.... GROSS....they do horrid things... anyone who has had the experience of dogs and cats cohabitating can relate to the "tootsie roll" treats (I did not "know this" prior to owning a dog).

But I have to admit... coming home to a great beast whose actions can be summed up by:

"OHMYGODIMISSEDYOUSOMUCHICANTBELIEVE YOUAREFINALLYHOMEILOVEYOUILOVEYOULETMENIBBLEYOUREARAND CUDDLEANDCRAWLINTOYOURLAP......-sigh-"

A simple scratch on an ear and a couple treats, a kind word and a gentle hand adds up to a loyal and VERY protective friend.

We could all learn a lesson from this in how we treat eachother. If we all took the time for a kind word, a gentle hug, the sharing of food and a sympathetic ear, how many more loyal friends could we all have?

And as an aside..these two ( Boo is my polydactyl oriental, Panzer my "tank" of a dog )... have "exchanged" words (Boo is quite rude and spits in Panzer's face), a "gentle" nudge from Panzer results in a firm and clawed swipe to the puppy's schnoz....and they have certainly NOT "shared food" as yet (Panzer eats...ALOT!). I don't think they have mastered the " how to be a loyal friend lesson" yet.

Keep finding small things to smile about!

-carolyn

1 comment:

  1. I love my dog -- allergic to cats, so don't know much about them. After a while the "surprises" are less common as you and he learn what you both need. And there is nothing quite so heartwarming as a 90-pound "lap dog."

    ReplyDelete